Cohort-based learning is a learning method where learners learn and collaborate about a specific topic at the same time. These learning plans typically have a duration of several months. It is a common and proven approach used by universities, colleges and MOOC courses. Cohort Learning plans can be used in scenarios like partner/customer onboarding, advanced topics or in any situation where "batches" of learners undergo training.
1. Navigate to the Add Exam page of the course you would like to add the exam.
2. Select one of the three options from the drop down next to Exam Results Answer display option. (see below)
- Show results without answers - This will display the exam results without answers, on the Exam Results page for Students.
- Show correct answers after passing the exam - This will display the exam results with all the correct answers, on the Exam Results page for Students.
- Show correct answers always - This will display the exam results with correct answers only, on the Exam Results page for Students.
Once a student takes the exam from the Student Portal, they will be directed to the Exam Results page, where the exam results will be displayed according to the preferences made from the Admin Portal.
NetExam allows you to add a completion Certificate file to a Course or Certification. Users who successfully complete the Course or Certification can download these Certificates from the Student Site. These certificates can be personalized with the User's name, Course/Certification name and Completion date.
- Create an Adobe PDF file of your certificate using Adobe Acrobat Writer, Photoshop or similar application.
- Create form fields on your PDF for each piece of data you would like to include. Be sure to mark each field as "read only" so that the user cannot alter the generated information. The form fields "Name" must be named as one of the following in order to pull data and are case sensitive:
- nedate (The date the Course/Certification was completed)
- nename (The User’s full name as entered into NetExam)
- necourse (This will pull either the Course or Certification name depending on what this Certificate is applied to)
- neusercertificationid (This will insert a unique numeric id to the Certificate that can be used to verify authenticity)
- neexpiredate (The Date Certification expires)
For Certification Certificate
For Course Certificate
Start and End Date of Class
- neexpiredate (The Date Certification expires)
- Save the file as Adobe PDF file. Upload the file to NetExam on the Edit Certification (or Edit Course) page (Note: The enhanced user interface for the Certificate file uploader allows the Admin to easily upload their PDF’s).
Be sure to upload the Certificate to a course and test the Certificate for accuracy.
Please use the following link to find an example of a working Certificate before it has been filled out by NetExam: Certificate Example
Also read: How to set Security on a Certificate
The steps below will walk you through the process of creating a Certification and publishing it to the NetExam Interface so that Users may see the Certification (Note: All Courses must be associated with either a Certification or identified as a Course Group (or Independent Course that does not require a Certification)).
Procedure 1 - Creating a Certification
Under the Certifications tab, click on the Certifications/Course Groups sub-tab.
Click the Create New Certification button.
Fill in the following information:
- New Certification Name: enter the certification name
- Certification Description: enter the certification description
- Certification Language: Select the Language for the Certification. The system default language is English. The Certification/Course groups that are within this language will be displayed to Users assigned to that language preference. Users can, however change the language offerings from the application to view Courses available in other languages.
- Active: select whether certification is to be Active or Inactive. Default is Active.
- User Type: select the User Type(s) that will have access to this Certification clicking the Select User Types button to open a pop-up window displaying all the User Types in the system.
- Days to Complete: check the box and include any number, in days (maximum of 365 days) if the Certification is set to be completed by a specific date
- Availability: select whether Available Certification applies to multiple Courses that are to be under a single Certification or Course Group w/o Certification which applies to Independent Courses. Select this option if this Course is independent and will not be part of a Certification
- Certificate file: select a Certificate file from the drop down (the dropdown will contain names of Certificate files that have been already uploaded to the System). If you wish to upload a new Certificate file, please click the Upload Certificate File button to upload a new file.
- Catalog: select the required catalog for your certification (all Certifications must be associated with a Catalog, except for Independent Courses)
- Required Electives: if required electives for this Certification/Course Group select from the available electives in the dropdown list.
- Name on Certificate: enter the name of the Certification/Course Group you want printed on the certificate
- Display Course(s) Individually: this will only be activated if Availability is set as Course Group w/o Certification. Once this is selected, a User can enroll to these Courses individually
- Display Progress bar for Students: this will display the certification progress as a percentage in a progress bar
- Expiration Type: select either Interval or Perpetual
- Expire in Days: if you selected Interval as the Expiration Type, you will need to specify the number of days for the interval.
- Provisional: allows the Admin to remove the Certification complete status of the User at any given time.
- External Certification ID: if there is an External ID that is required to identify this Certification, it can be placed here.
- Certification Display Image / Icon: Admin can upload an image and icon file to display in the Certification Tile. By pressing set to defult will revert back the upload.
- Disable Certification Completion Email: Admin can select this check box to overide the triggering of Certification completion email to learners.
- Certification Pricing: if there is a price for the Certification, clicking the Available button will display a table below and a button to add values to the table. Clicking the Add Prices button will display a pop-up showing the available pricing (similar to the Course Price Picker).
- Payment Option – this will be displayed when the Certification Pricing is available only. The options of Credit Card, Purchase Order or Voucher are available.
If this Certification requires that other Certifications be completed prior to this new one, you can assign them by selecting them from the Certification Prerequisites section:
click the Select Prerequisites button to display a pop-up with all available Certifications
select the Certifications and click Add to add them to the list of Certification(s)
select the rule for the prerequisites from the drop-down list
Now you may assign Course(s) for this new Certification from the Assign Course(s) to a new Certification.
Click the Select Courses button to open a pop-up with all available Courses. Under the Requirements column, click to display a dropdown to select either Elective or Required for the Course. Default is Not Applicable.
Click Save to launch the new Certification/Course Group to the System.
After a Certification/Course Group has been created, you must assign it to User Group(s) so that your Users will have access.
Procedure 2 - Assigning a Certification to User Group(s)
Under the Users tab, select the User Groups tab.
You can either search for the User Group by typing out the name, selecting the associated letter from the list of alphabets, or select All.
After you have found the respective User Group, click on the name to navigate to the Edit a User Group page.
Once on this page, navigate to the bottom of the page. You will now see a section called Currently Subscribed Certifications. Click the Available Certifications button to display a pop-up with all the Certifications. Select the Certification/Course Group and click Add to add them to the User Group.
If you wish to auto-enroll all Users’ in that User Group, click the check-box under the Auto Enroll column under the list of Currently Subscribed Certifications.
Click Save to submit the changes.
You will now need to confirm that the User can see the Certification/Course Group in order to enroll.
Procedure 3 - Confirm Certification/Course Group availability
First, make sure that the User Group is available under the new Certification/Course Group by searching for the Certification on the left search panel in the Admin site.
Select the Certification and on the Edit Certification page, navigate to the bottom of the page to view the User Groups that have access to this Certification.
Once this is complete, search for a User who is in the respective User Group, using the search section.
In the User search results, click the linked user name. The Edit a User page will be displayed.
Click the Manage Course Registrations button on the Edit a User page.
Once here, if you have used the Auto-Enroll function, the Certification will be visible under the list of Subscribed Courseware. If it does not appear, click the Add Courseware button.
A pop-up window will open with all the Certifications that are available for enrollment. Next to the new Certification, click the check-box under the Enroll column.
Once complete, click the Enroll Certifications button and close the window.
The User can now login to the Student site and access the Certification and complete all Courses associated with the Certification.
There are two options for viewing Certification eligibility:
Via the User / Manage Course Registrations
Via Login As A Learner
- Manage Course Registrations:
- Perform a search for the user.
- On the Search Results page, click the name of the user to view their profile.
- Click the Manage Course Registration button at the top of the Edit a User page.Click the Add Courseware button, which will open a pop-up to display all available Certifications and Courses eligible for enrollment for the User.
- Login As A Learner:
- Perform a search for the user.
- On the Search Results page, click the name of the user to view their profile.
- Click the Login as Learner button at the top of the Edit a User page.
This action will log you into the Student site impersonating that User, allowing you to view everything as that particular User. To view their eligible Certifications, Click the Training Tab on the top of the page and you will be able to see the Certifications and Courses that are available for enrollment and the ones that the User has enrolled in.
Many types of Certifications are valid for a specified period of time. When the Certification period expires, re-Certification may be required to renew the Certification's validity.
Setting a Certification's Expiration Type sets the period in which that Certification is active or valid. The Certification Expiration Mode enables you to apply Expiration options to a Certification.
There are two different options available, Interval and Perpetual:
The Certification will be valid for the number of days that have been set for the certification. The expiration can be set in a number of days, i.e., 365 or by a date (mmm/dd/yyyy). The Certification expires when that number of days has passed.
If the student has not yet started or completed the Certification, in the Student’s site view, the ‘Days Valid’ column will appear blank. When the Student completes the Certification, the Student site will display the respective number of days left before the Certification expires. This allows the student to retake the Certification within that given number of days. After this set number of days has passed, the ‘Days Valid’ column will show ‘Expired’ for that Certification.
The Certification will not expire and there is no need to set a specific number of days for completion. If the student has not yet started or completed the Certification, in the Student’s site view, the ‘Days Valid’ column will appear blank. When the Student completes the Certification, an infinity symbol (∞) will be displayed to indicate that the Certification has been completed and will not expire.
- Click on the Certifications/Course Groups sub-tab under the Certifications tab.
- Click on the Create new Certification button or Open an existing Certification.
- Scroll down to the 'Expiration Type' option and select the Expiration Type as,
- Interval - Selecting this option will enable the Expiration Mode option. Set the Expiration Mode as,
- Set Expiration with a specific date – Selecting this option will enable the option Expiration Date that lets the user select a specific expiration date.
- Set Expiration with the number of days – Selecting this option will enable the option Expire In Days that will let the user insert the number of days that the certificate will expire in.
- Perpetual – Selecting this option will never expire the Certification.
Once the Certification Expiration type and mode are set, save the Certification.
What will happen once a Certification expires?
When a student enrolls in a Certification, their transcript will show a certification status of blank (if they have not started the course), In Progress or how many days are left for the valid Certification. In the event the Certification expires and the student chooses to re-certify, they will have to complete the courseware required for recertification.
Recertification typically requires enrollment in either 1) new courseware that may have been updated with new information or 2) the existing courseware that was not modified from the original certification. In either case, the student will enroll in the Certification. If the courseware is new, the student will simply enroll and complete the coursework for the new Certification. If the courseware has not changed and the student is re-taking the same courses, they will have to UnEnroll from the previous course completion and Enroll again to receive a newly dated Certificate of completion. This means the administrator must ensure that the course allows unenrollment. On the Edit a Course page, ensure that the Disable Unenrollment checkbox is NOT checked. This allows the student to unenroll in the course and re-enroll for the new Certification validity.
Keywords: Certificate, Certification, Expire, Expiration, Interval, Perpetual, Transcript
With the upgraded Manage Course Registrations page, Administrators can now manually update a User's Certification/Course data and see the Completion date of a Certification/Course.
Access the User's Profile and click on the Manage Course Registration button at the top of the page.
From the Subscribed Courseware page, select the i icon located in the Edit column. A pop-up will be displayed with the following fields: Completed, Score, Date Completed and Reason.
Enter the required data into the fields provided and click the Submit button.
There are two paths to view a student's exam results.
- Via the Course information or
- Via the User information
To view exam results via Course information:
- Navigate to the Edit Course page and scroll down to the Exam section.
- Click on the exam Report link (Also see: How do I find statistics for an Exam?).
- On the User Exam Analysis, select the User Comparison tab. This will show a list of the Users and their individual scores for the Exam.
- Selecting the individual User will show the User’s Exam history for the Course including previous attempts.
To view exam results via User information:
- Perform a search for the User.
- Click on the User’s name to view the User's profile.
- Select the View Transcript button at the top of the Add/Edit a User page.
- The Transcript page will list Exam versions, Status, Completion dates and Scores.
The Certification Expiration Report enables you to view upcoming Certification Expirations. The NetExam System provides the ability to download and save your report in a .CSV file.
Click on the Reporting tab and select the Certification Expiration Report sub tab.
Select the Start Date, End Date and Certification for your Report (Note: Dates must occur in the future).
Click the Submit button.
The report information will appear in a grid format. To edit the report options, click the Edit Report button. To download, click the Download button.
The Administrator is able to view a User's Transcript to see the progress that particular User has made.
This Transcript can be viewed by clicking on the View Transcript button on the User's profile page in the Admin site.
This page will display with a list of all the Certifications and Courses that the User has taken.
Certification/Courses: This column will display the name of the Course or Certification. The gray row is for Certifications and white row is for Courses.
Status: This column shows in which stage the training is in:
- Courses will show either Completed or Registered/In Progress
- Certifications will show either Completed or In Progress
- If a Certification or Course has a completion Certificate, it is available for the Admin to view by clicking on the Certificate icon
Complete Date: This column displays the date at which the User completed this training.
Score: This shows the score that the User attained for the training.
CertificateID: Shows the Certificate ID associated with the Certification
Complete by Date: Shows the Date the Course should be completed by.
View Checklist: Shows the Checklist if it was enabled in the Course
Credit Hours: Credit Hourse earned when completed.
The Independent Courses section displays the Courses that are not associated with a Certification and also any ILT classes associated with these Courses, that the User has enrolled in and completed
- When a Course is In Progress, the User has still not completed that particular Course.
- When a Course is Completed, the User has completed this Course. In the same row, the Complete Date and the Score will also be displayed.
- When a Course has an ILT class associated with it, the Class will show the Status that the Instructor or Administrator has marked for it and if completed, the Completion date as well.
If there is a Course that has been cancelled, it will be displayed under the Cancelled Courses section, with the status as Cancelled and the date that it was cancelled.
If the User has been assigned any External Courses, then it will be displayed under the External Courses section, with the date period of that particular Course and the Status of it and if Attended or not.
You can set a security on a PDF certificate, which will prevent students from altering the fields in it. Here is how you can do this.
To lock the PDF Certificate please don't make the form fields as Read Only. Instead:
1. Open the PDF Certificate in Adobe Acrobat. In Adobe Acrobat, you want to find the “protect document” tool then choose “Restrict Editing”.
2. You will get prompted for a password to assign to the document. Save or write this password down where you or your co-workers may find it later.
3. Next you’ll want to remove the ability for students to edit the form fields.
a. Click on “More Options” then “Security Properties”.
b. Click on the “Security” tab, then the “Change Settings…” button.
c. The properties window will then pop up. Select the down arrow for the “Changes Allowed” option and select “None”.
d. Click the OK button at the bottom of the window.
4) Save the document for changes to take place.
5) Upload the document to the certification you would like it used for.
Setting up Prerequisites for a given Course or Certification allows admin to enforce their learners to follow the Course / Certification sequence.(Learning Path)
Eg: If the System has Course A and Course B. Admin can set Course A as the Prerequisite Course for Course B. In this situation, learners cannot directly enroll in Course B as it states You don't meet Prerequisite... message
Prerequisite Courses Setup
1. Goto the Course page and click on the Advanced Tab on v7. In v6 you can find it on the course page.
2. Select one or more prerequisite courses.
3. Now select the Prerequisite condition. There are 4 conditions. You can select one of them. Most of the Admin select the first condition.
4. Click on Update or Save Course.
Prerequisite Certification/ Program Setup
1. Goto the Certification / Program and edit. eg: Canada VET Program
2. Select the Prerequisite Certification / Program from the list. Then select the Prerequisite condition.
3. Save / Update the changes. Note: In this instance, users have to complete both Breed Nutrition and Weight Management Program certifications before enrolling in Canada Vet Program Certification. If the user tries to directly enroll on to Canada Vet Program he/she will see the "You don't meet Prerequisite"... message.
Many learners will have received accreditations from previous training and education. NetExam enables you to incorporate their learning achievements into their transcript by uploading their training "evidence".
There are two methods of adding an external course to a students transcript. Method One is a simple method to document a learners attendance in another course without incorporating actual documentation into the transcript. Method Two is designed for the uploading and validation of learning evidence, i.e., a certificate of completion, into the students transcript.
Method one is explained below. Method two is explained in the attached document providing detailed instructions on how to incorporate a students external training evidence into the learners transcripts in NetExam.
Method One Procedure
- Under the Courses tab select the External Courses sub-tab.
- Click the Create New External Course button. Enter the following information:
- External Course Name (required)
- Start Date
- End Date
- Credit Hours
- Classroom (select only if this External Course is Classroom. Default is eLearning).
- External ID
Click the Submit button.
Next Navigate to the User profile page of the User that needs to be enrolled in the External Course.
- At the top of the User profile page, select the Manage Course Registrations button. From the following page, click the Add Courseware button.
- From the pop-up window, select the External tab.
- Click the checkbox next to the External Course. A pop-up box will appear. Enter the following information:
- Select the checkbox if completed.
- Enter a score.
- Enter date completed (you can select a date by clicking on the Calendar button).
Click the Submit button.
Method Two is a downloadable document that describes a procedure to examine and validate learning evidence.
This functionality allows the administrators to Bulk Enroll users to the Certifications and courses by specifying whether the Cert is Required /Elective or Optional and with the required Due date.
NetExam’s new Learning Paths provide a way for Administrators to create a recommend a sequence of training item for learner’s based on attributes like job role etc.
Administrators can create the Learning Paths via the new module that allows them to drag and drop training items (courses, certification or classes) and sequence.
NetExam now allows administrators to manage email preferences at the certification level. This will give you an additional layer of control when triggering user certification emails. On the Certification Add/Edit page, scroll down to the “Email Preferences” section. This is located above the “Certification Prerequisite” section.
NetExam Administrators can preview the PDF Certificates that they have uploaded in the course or certificate page without trying to download it from the learner side. This provide a way to check the output of the certificate file before publishing to students.
As more courses turn to online education as a viable certification platform, maintaining testing integrity is critical to the success of a certification program.
Online remote proctoring has evolved into a secure solution and NetExam has partnered with ProctorU, one of the premier online proctoring services. Founded in 2008, ProctorU has administered nearly 1 million exams for test-takers in 75 countries and works with more than 500 institutions. The company has four facilities across the U.S. and employs over 400 people.
ProctorU has developed a safe and secure environment to manage the proctoring process. Proctors use a three-step approach to authenticate a student’s identity: see the student, see what they’re doing and know who they are. NetExam developers and engineers have worked with ProctorU technical teams to develop an API that lets the Administrator enable remote proctoring in a course, and for the student to click a button and schedule a proctored exam with a proctor from ProctorU.
To activate the feature, Admin selects “Enable Live Remote Proctoring” from the Course Exam Setup page. Once enabled, students see the “Schedule Proctored Exam” button in the student course page. When the student selects Schedule Proctored Exam, they will be directed to the ProctorU site to establish their identity account and to schedule the exam. When the exam is taken, the student will engage with a proctor who will verify their identity and monitor the exam. At the completion of the exam, the student validation is sent to the Administrator.
For more information on the ProctorU process – go to http://www.proctoru.com/howitworks.php
User Group Managers can enroll other users in their User Group Certifications from the Learner Portal application. This will allow quicker enrollment of users for time sensitive business critical certifications.
- Authorized user should be User Group Manager
- There are users assigned to this User Group Manager.
- User Group Manager Role should have the settings to see the Goals tab in Learner portal. (Users – Roles section)
- User Group Manager logs in to the Learner portal, clicks on the Group Transcript tab
- Click on the Register link beside the user name from the left-side panel
- Select certification from the popup and click Enroll.
Now User Custom Fields can be used to define Eligibility Criteria in Certification level.